Monday, March 5, 2012

Tools of the Trade: My beloved Mixer






I'm sure you recognize this picture from my Mmmm... Bread post.  Only I posted it in a smaller format at the time because it wasn't the star of the post.  It was just a tool in the bread making process.

Today I wanted to talk a bit about my mixer because it is such an important part of my kitchen.  (And I figured that a post or two about the tools that I use in my culinary learning process wouldn't be a bad thing.)

Growing up, my mother had a KitchenAid Stand Mixer and it was used frequently.  She still has it, though I'm not sure how often she uses it. 

When I finally got around to enjoying the art of cooking (rather than feel like it was just one more chore), I wanted to get myself one.  One year I pooled birthday gift money and purchased this model in Imperial Gray.  I liked the Imperial Gray color because it was not a gloss finish.  It was a slightly textured finish.  Not that the color or finish changes how it works, I just didn't want to feel like I had to clean hand or finger prints off the thing the whole time.

The basic unit comes with the stand motor, the bowl, a whisk, a beater and a dough hook.  The bowl and whisk are stainless and super easy to clean.  The beater and the dough hook are enameled and also easy to clean.  I use the dough hook the most and the beater second. 

The machine itself is really easy to use too.  My husband (who isn't as comfortable in the kitchen as I am) can use it without any real instruction (and uses it when ever he makes pancakes).   And I love the many ways you can expand on it.  I'm sure you can do a search of all the different attachments available.  I currently have the pasta roller attachment kit, which comes with a sheet roller, and two different sized cutters.  I also have the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachments.  The meat grinder will be making an appearance in a future post.  I'll be making a breakfast sausage whenever I buy the stuff to make it (hopefully in the next two weeks or so).

The stand mixer is just one of those things that I love having, and I probably wouldn't be as successful in my adventuring without it.

I'm still in the process of rebuilding my kitchen toys.  A few years ago we moved from Delaware to California and I sold most of my kitchen stuff to cut down on moving costs (and because we were moving into my grandparents house to help them out, and they had a lot of kitchen things).  There are still things that I had that, if I had known I'd be rebuilding this soon, I would have kept.  As I acquire them and put them to use, you'll probably see more "Tools of the Trade" posts.

Until next time...

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment