Saturday, April 28, 2012

Buttermilk Pancakes

So, I have found a new Buttermilk Pancake recipe that I really do like.  They're probably my favorite pancakes ever.  I originally made them because I had some leftover buttermilk from making some green velvet cupcakes.  I only needed a cup of buttermilk for the cupcakes, but the smallest container I could find was a quart of buttermilk.

Anyway.  This recipe was perfect.  I don't quite remember where I found it, but if I figure that out, I'll edit this.

 I'm going to share the recipe first, then share some thoughts.  I have made these a total of three times to date.

Buttermilk Pancakes 

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions:

1. in a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl (or in my case a 4 cup measuring cup) beat together the wet ingredients.  Keep these separate until ready to cook.




2. heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.  You can test this by flicking water across the surface.  If it beads up and sizzles, then it's good to go.

3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or a fork to blend.  Stir until just blended together.  Do not over stir.  (It's okay if it's lumpy)


4. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle (approximately 1/2 cup per pancake).  Let cook until bubbles pop and don't refill and the edges start to cook.




5. Flip and brown side two.  I usually have my oven heated to about 200 degrees F with a cookie sheet on it to keep the finished pancakes warm until all the rest of breakfast is done.


Now, as I said earlier, I have made these three times.  The first two times were with liquid buttermilk and they turned out great.  The recipe states that the recipe requires fresh buttermilk, but I thought I'd try it with some other stuff I keep on hand.


And, yes... I took that picture while the container was inside my refrigerator.

 Basically this is a powdered buttermilk.  It works great for buttermilk biscuits and probably any other oven baked breads.  It worked okay in these pancakes.  You use 4 tablespoons of this to a cup of water to make a cup of buttermilk.  If you look at the picture of the dry ingredients, the yellower powder is this buttermilk powder.  The wet ingredients had three cups of water instead of the butter milk that the recipe asked for.  

I guess the problem with using this was that the batter wasn't as thick as it was when I used fresh buttermilk.  It affected the consistency of the pancakes.  They weren't bad by any means.  They just weren't as light and fluffy.  I ended up adding more flour to the mixture to make it thicker.  Once the additional flour was in there, they worked great.  

I think next time I try them, I'll add another 1/2 cup of flour at the beginning and see how it works.  If it's still not right, I'll probably just stick to using the powdered stuff in baked goods and get a quart of buttermilk when I want to make these pancakes.

And as a side note, these are great as a dessert too.  Just pop the leftover pancake in the toaster and spread some nutella on it.  My husband says that they're dangerous that way.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those look great! I can't wait to try them!

    I don't know if you know it, but you can make buttermilk by using real milk and adding white vinegar. Something like 1 Tbs per cup. I know you use powdered milk, like I do, but I think you should try it anyway. Just to see if it works. (So I don't have to!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do know that trick... I haven't tried it yet. From what I've seen, it tastes a bit different from regular buttermilk (though I haven't tried to drink that on it's own either, so I really have no comparison). I would assume that I'd have the same consistency problem with that method as I did with this one. Real buttermilk is just so much thicker.

      I love that you want me to try it first though. That amuses me.

      If you try them, I would really recommend trying them with real buttermilk first. They're excellent. I've considered just making a batch from time to time to keep in the freezer to toast up and eat with nutella.

      Delete
  2. My kids go crazy for Nutella, I've not been brave enough to try it ...and next time I make pancakes I'm trying these out.

    ReplyDelete