Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bread, Bread and More Bread

Again, it's been a while since I've posted.  About a week after I posted the update about the pregnancy, hubby and I found out the baby stopped growing.  We've processed it and we're good.  It's a sad thing, but it's also very common.  And so we're going to try again.

Getting back into a pattern after all the chaos that came with that was a little difficult.  I haven't done much creatively in regards to cooking.  I have baked though.  I tweaked the potato roll recipe from the previous recipe a little bit.  I added a 1/2 cup of milk to the heated potato mixture.  That helped to provide enough room to stir the potatoes constantly while cooking (to avoid the burning milk problem I had with the first batch).  So basically the cooking liquid is 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup water.  The only problem I had with this was that it was harder for me to mash the potatoes at the end.  That wasn't really a problem for me though.  I just used my handy immersion blender to blend it all together.






Following the rest of the recipe posted in the previous post, I made the hot dog rolls and a batch of burger buns.  (I usually make the burger buns with wheat bran, but I was out).

The same day that I did these two batches, I also made some oatmeal bread.





This was the whole day's haul.  I really like the oatmeal bread.  That may be my new "go to" everyday bread.

I got the recipe from King Arthur Flour.  I didn't make any changes to the recipe ingredients, but I did change a little of the process.  Instead of using lukewarm milk, I heated the milk to almost boiling (with the salt, sugar and butter) and let it cool to lukewarm.  When it cooled to about 130 degrees F, I poured it over the oats and let them soak for the remainder of the cool down.  The first time I tried the recipe, I let them soak for the entire cool down period, but the oats got too soft and the bread was super soft.


I have ordered live sourdough starter from King Arthur Flour as well as stuff to make Rye Bread.

Sourdough bread has been my bread nemesis.  I have tried to make my own starter and failed.  I have requested dried starter that came with instructions on how to bring it back to life.  I failed with that too.  So I broke down and ordered live starter.  I received it and followed the instructions for feeding it.  I have since given away two sets of started to friends and have a thriving starter to use whenever I want to.

I tried making sourdough last weekend.  Sourdough is still my nemesis.  I didn't exactly fail.  The bread was good, but it wasn't what I was looking for.  It wasn't sour enough.  It was a quick rise with extra yeast.  Next weekend I will be trying a different recipe for sourdough that calls for 30 hours of feed and rise time before baking with no extra yeast added.  If that is successful, I will share that whole process.

The rye bread was also not successful, but I'm not sure if that was the recipe or my fault.  The day I made it was the same day I made the sourdough.  I also made strawberry margarita jam and dill pickles.  The reason the rye wasn't successful may have been because I forgot to put the salt in.  We're going to try it again as written and make sure that I skipped the salt.


The round loaf is the sourdough and the rye is upside down because the top wasn't pretty.  Hubby is still eating the rye though.  So, other than being bland, I guess it's not too bad.

I'll try to do another update soon.  I have quite a few more pictures already uploaded just waiting for me to do an entry.

Until then... Thanks and Happy Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment